FRANCISCAN AND MEDIEVAL CUNEO
Description of offer
The city of Cuneo, of medieval foundation, soon saw the presence of Franciscan friars. In fact, the first settlement of a small convent dates back to the 12th century in today's space of the Monumental Complex of San Francesco which houses the city's Civic Museum. The imposing church is the only remaining late medieval religious monument and in recent restoration it has given back interesting evidences of local painting from the fourteenth century to the Baroque period.
In the ancient convent space there is the Civic Museum which has nourished prehistoric, historical and ethnographic collections of the Cuneo area. A walk along Via Roma, the heart of the historic city center and the subject of a recent redevelopment, allows you to admire the medieval buildings and visit Contrada Mondovì, the ancient Jewish quarter. The medieval city that occupied the so-called “lace” of the wedge, situated in a strategic position, was often besieged and therefore equipped with towers and defensive walls. From the top of the Civic Tower, erected following the Peace of 1317, the year in which the bitter struggles with Mondovì ended, it is possible to admire a splendid landscape throughout the Alpine arc.
The visit continues, along the splendid Viale degli Angeli, up to the homonymous Sanctuary, situated on a hill overlooking the Gesso stream, with the frescoes of the primitive Franciscan monastery, then replaced by another convent, now disappeared, located in the area of the current Piazza Galimberti.
PIEDMONT - Cuneo